With all the late night feeds, and reading stories to your little one, a nursery glider is a very useful purchase to make things easier and more comfortable for you and your baby.
You might even fancy a snooze in one yourself if you want a little nap!
So if you’re in the market for a glider and you’re fairly tall in stature, then this blog post is for you.
Because let’s be honest, nothing is more frustrating than sitting in a comfy glider, only for your head to not be supported at all!
Table of Contents
Is a glider or a rocker a better option?
Once you’re purchased a crib for your baby’s nursery, choosing a glider or rocker should be high up on your ‘to buy’ list.
So which is the best option?
Well, it all comes down to personal preference.
A rocker has no moving parts so it’s less maintenance and you don’t need to worry about cleaning the wheels and rivets which come with a glider.
The rocking motion is also great for soothing a fussy baby which can help them settle down to sleep.
However, a rocker isn’t really suitable for wooden or tiled flooring, where as a glider can work well on all surfaces. Gliders also have other functions; they can swivel, recline, rock and some can do it all.
A glider is really a more versatile option for your nursery than a rocker. It’s generally more comfortable, soft and they sometimes come with an ottoman which is great for putting your feet up.
What are the more popular brands for nursery gliders?
In the glider market, Dutailier is one of the main players in terms of online searches (if you look at the chart below)
What to consider when choosing a glider
This is the most crucial aspect of all. It should feel comfortable and soft but it should also support your head and back.
It’s best to have a budget in mind before you start looking. Some gliders can be quite expensive, but some of the more budget options might not have the reliability and longevity you’re after.
Unfortunately you, or your baby, will spill something on the glider. Therefore, you need to make sure you buy something which is easy to clean.
It should be well built and feel sturdy as you’ll want it to last for many years, especially if you’re planning a second baby in the future.
Here are some other tips on what to look for when choosing a glider
With these points in mind let’s now take a look at some of the best nursery gliders for tall parents.
Dutailier SLEIGH 0337 Glider chair with Ottoman
This is a premium quality chair that has first-time parents in mind. It is made from premium quality materials, and includes a fantastic ball bearing system that allows it to slide easily on rails.
For anyone who is new to this, the good news is that the Dutailier already comes assembled. That means no nasty flat-pack surprises and having to stay up until midnight putting it all together with the aid of hard to decipher instructions.
This chair really has been built to be durable and tough. What’s great about it is that it is made from nice hardwood material. The last thing you want is for a cheap chair to fall apart during use, especially when you’re cradling your baby.
The included Ottoman is also great for tired parents and for a mum who might be prone to back aches after giving birth. The Ottoman is made from the same materials and is a great addition to the entire package.
- Very easy to put together quickly, even by tired or parents inexperienced with tools
- Made from durable hardwood and other materials that will last for many years of use
- The durable materials give it the impression of safety, security, and solidity
- A ball bearing glide system on rails that is easy to use and effective
- Very comfortable to use
- The cushion covers can’t be removed, so keeping them clean is not easy.
What Do Customers Think?
In general, customers are very happy with the Dutailier chair. They find it to be comfortable, but still stable and strong enough to take the punishment of daily use with a child. They also find that the use of premium quality materials really does stand the test of time and use.
Storkcraft Tuscany Custom Glider and Ottoman
This nice looking chair is offered in eight fabrics and six wood finishes. That means you can get exactly the chair you want to match your home. This also lends the chair a nice premium feel and look.
The cushions are actually composed of a type of micro fabric materials that feels soft and will provide plenty of comfortable cushioning for the tired parent. In addition, the included pillow is great for supporting the lumbar region of the back and will be most appreciated by mums and dads who are exhausted and need a rest.
- A variety of wood finishes and fabric types make this an appealing choice
- The ball bearing gliding system is easy to use and feels nice and smooth
- The seat itself is large enough to accommodate any size parent
- The micro fiber is easy to clean with a cloth if there are stains or spills
- An unclouded fabric pocket is a nice touch and means that parents can store baby books and other things within easy reach
- Some people find that the cushions are quite thin and they had to purchase extra support
- The inexpensive price may not reflect the quality of the product as far as some people are concerned
What Do Customers Think?
Most customers find that this is a very affordable alternative to the bigger name brands. The gliding motion works very well in most cases, and the cushions can easily be spot cleaned.
The biggest downside is that some people found that the cushions are a bit too thin for sitting for long periods of time. In these cases, extra cushions may be needed.
Forever Eclectic by Child Craft Cozy Glider Rocker and Ottoman
This solid wood framed chair features a plush look that will appeal to many tired parents who just want a rest at the end of the day with their small child.
The chair itself feels solid and secure, which is a great reflection on the product considering the affordable price.
A nice padded Ottoman rounds out this package and is a welcome addition for parents who want to simply put their feet up and relax.
- Plush and thick semi-upholstered chair provides plenty of comfort for parents
- A very affordable price when compared to some brands
- The included Ottoman will be a great value to many people
- The included pockets on the chair are great for tucking away baby books and other items in easy reach of mum or dad
- The backrest is not quite high enough for taller people
- The included side cushions are not easy to snap into place using the buttons
- Some people find that it has a cheap feel to it
What Do Customers Think?
In general, customers find this to be a nice, comfortable piece of furniture, but the less expensive price does reflect some lack of quality in some areas. However, for most people, this can be forgiven due to the comfort of the plush cushions, the nice little pockets, and the excellent price.
The bottom line
Unfortunately, there isn’t a wide choice of gliders which are ideal for taller parents.
If you really are tall (and not just above average in height) both the Storkcraft and Dutailier should still be fine, but the Forever Eclectic might not be such a wise choice.
Graham runs the place around here. He likes making a “little noise” about all things to do with tennis and parenting. Check out his about page to learn more.