This content may contain links to products and services. Please assume all such links are affiliate links which may result in myself earning a commission (at no extra cost to you).
When my wife and I bought Mia’s crib for the nursery, I didn’t realise there would be so many options for crib mattresses.
Towards the higher end of the market there are organic ones, which are breathable, but you can also get cheaper ones which have fewer features.
There are also portable crib mattresses if you want your little one to sleep in different locations
It goes without saying that safety should be your number one priority, so you should ensure that you take your time and do you research when it comes to buying a crib mattress.
In this article, I will look at two organic crib mattresses which are both popular amongst parents:
- The Newton Crib Mattress
- The Naturepedic Crib Mattress
But first here are some of the things that you should look for in a new crib mattress:
Overview – What to consider when buying a crib mattress
The crib mattress needs to be the right size for the crib you have. If it’s too small, it will leave a gap and this can be risky if your baby happens to roll over and get trapped between the mattress and the sides of the crib.
Density and Firmness
The crib mattress should be firm enough that you can push down at the center of it and it will spring back quickly to its original position. Don’t worry if it seems too firm for you because your baby will quickly adjust. A firm crib mattress is better than a soft one because it supports the spine and also ensures that your baby won’t get stuck in a mattress that’s too soft and squishy.
Breathable mattresses are becoming more popular because they minimize the risks of a baby being face-down and not being able to breathe. Breathable crib mattresses are made of a breathable material and are a good option for parents.
This is something that many new parents don’t consider when buying a new crib mattress. The weight of the mattress will affect how easily and quickly you can lift it up and change the sheets. If your baby has wet the sheets, for example, you don’t really want a mattress filled with heavy springs to hinder your ability to change it.
Seal of Certification
One thing that you should stay away from is buying a second-hand crib mattress. Ideally, you should buy a mattress that features a seal of certification from the Safety Commission. When you see this, you’ll know that it meets federal safety standards in terms of construction and materials.
The problem with second-hand mattresses is that you just don’t know how much they have been used. Some studies have also found that second-hand crib mattresses can also be linked to an increased risk of SIDS. And most certainly, you should always stay away from second-hand crib mattresses that look worn and shabby.
Newton Crib Mattress Review
The Newton crib mattress has the following features:
- Included breathable materials and a patented “Breathe-Thru” technology from Newton make this crib mattress a worthy consideration.
- It is easily washable at home, making it easy and convenient to keep clean.
- It does not contain any harmful products such as allergy-producing chemicals and materials and it also conforms to federal safety guidelines and standards.
Here’s a video which talks about the product features in more detail.
One of the best features of the Newton crib mattress is just how easy it is to keep clean. It’s lightweight enough for sheet changing and does not contain any known allergy-producing materials and chemicals.
For any face-sleeping babies, this crib mattress is also a good deal. The “Breathe-Thru” technology means that there will be breathability even if your baby decides to face-plant.
SIDS (Sudden infant death syndrome) is a real concern for all new parents and the Newton alleviates this fear to a great degree because the mattress is not only firm but also breathable. The extra ventilation and airflow through this mattress also means that babies will not overheat even in the hot weather.
- Good for first-time parents because it is lightweight and easy to clean
- Comes in a wide range of nice soft colors
- Made from approved breathable materials and does not contain any volatile chemicals and allergens
- When opened, the new mattress may be overpowering in terms of smell.
- The included zipper does not seem to be of high quality.
What do customers think?
In general, most customers were satisfied with the Newton crib mattress but many people were also clearly distressed by the strong smell upon opening. In fact, some customers found that it really made the whole room smell so much that they had to return it.
The crib mattress without a sheet also seems to have a scratchy feel. This may irritate the soft and sensitive skin of babies.
Naturepedic Crib Mattress Review
The Naturepedic crib mattress has the following features:
- Completely hypoallergenic, containing no toxic materials or chemicals and no phthalates
- Flame retardant
- Light enough to lift and change sheets quickly
- Made from natural cotton so it is non-toxic and sourced naturally from local farmers to support the economy
Here’s a quick video showing why Naturepedic came up with their organic crib mattress, and why it’s safer for your baby.
All parents will love the fact that this crib mattress from Naturepedic has a waterproof core. This means that your baby can have an accident and you don’t need to worry about the mattress itself. It will just wipe clean and is ready for use again.
Being made from a natural material such as cotton also means that it is considered to be hypoallergenic. There are no toxic additives and no other chemicals that are known to produce harmful reactions.
In addition, this crib mattress features great air flow, ventilation, and breathability. This means that new parents won’t ever have to worry about their babies face-sleeping.
- Natural cotton materials used in the construction of this safety-certified crib mattress make it a great choice.
- The waterproof mattress means that it’s easy to clean up spills and accidents without any harm to the mattress itself.
- It is Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) certified to ensure that no harmful chemicals are used in the manufacture and construction.
- It is handcrafted by Amish workers in a family-owned business who take pride in their work.
- It is a very firm mattress and may not appeal to some parents who would prefer a softer option for their newborns.
What do customers think?
Many customers were very happy with this mattress and found it a good fit for their cribs. They also found that it didn’t have the awful smell of some other crib mattresses.
However, some customers complained that the mattress is also very firm and not especially comfortable for their babies. In this context, some babies might have trouble getting comfortable.
Which crib mattress is more popular?
Surprisingly in terms of online searches both options are as popular as each other with 2,400 searches per month.
Graham runs the place around here. He likes making a “little noise” about all things to do with tennis and parenting. Check out his about page to learn more.